Friday, January 4, 2013

REVIEW::: Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA

Ah.  So here we are.  The first beer review here at Spilt Beverage.  Let's get a basis of what the reviews are going to consist of.  People experience beers differently.  That's why I'm not going give beers "stars" or "toasts" or whatever quirky rating system could apply here.  Instead, we are going to tell you if you should drink a beer.  A simple YES or NO will suffice.  Don't you think?  Please feel free to leave me your input.

On to the review!

I was lucky enough to receive the Shock and Awe 12 pack from Flying Dog at a Chinese Christmas party over the holidays.  Yes, most of the presents at the Christmas party involved some kind of alcoholic beverage.  Either way, it was a good party and it was a win/win situation.  I have tried Flying Dog's products before and have had mixed opinions.  Sometimes, I feel as if their brews are fantastic.  Other times, I feel that there are better options.  I've also never been too fond of IPA's.  They've always seemed a bit to heavy for my taste or something that I would move on to later in a beer drinking session.  I opened the 12 pack and tried the Pearl Necklace first.  All "that's what she said" jokes aside, I rather enjoyed it, even though the idea of it even touching an oyster originally turned me off.  The Snake Dog was next on my list to try, and I can honestly say that Flying Dog has knocked this one out of the park.

Weighing in at 7.1% ABV, it packs a punch while not completely overwhelming you with hops.  Now when I say a punch, I would compare it to a punch from King Hippo, not Mike Tyson.  (Please tell me I have some Punch-Out fans reading!)  I had no problem finishing this brew.  Other IPA's always seem like a chore to me.  A means to an end.  The least amount of liquid to get the best buzz.  That's not the case here.  I paired the Snake Dog with Chicago-style pizza, and it was a great match.  Lots of flavor and it deserves our seal of approval.

One quick note about the label art. 



I'm a fan of label art.  Other than recommendations from friends and TV commercials, what makes you want to drink a beer?  If you've got a good looking bottle, you are going to win over somebody eventually.  Featuring a quote from the great Hunter S. Thompson straight on the bottle, the label is a work of art.  It's abstract, colorful, and is a great precursor to what's inside.

So let's wrap it up!  Should we drink Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA?

YES.

Well that was fun.  I sincerely hope you enjoyed it and would appreciate any input in the comments.  Also, let us know your thoughts if you have partaken as well.  Thanks for reading, and come back soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment